This Month in Movies: April 2013



Here's This Month in Movies: (* = rewatch)

Star Wars: IV, V, & VI (1977-1983)*: I did a marathon of the original Star Wars films.  It had been years since I'd watched them.  I was a BIG Star Wars nerd when I was a kid, so watching these again was a lot of nostalgia.

Someday This Pain Will Be Useful To You (2011): Based on one of my favorite books by Peter Cameron (one of my favorite authors), I had a lot of expectations for this movie.  Only once have I been 100% pleased with a movie adaptation of a book, see: The Perks of Being a Wallflower.  This adaptation of Someday comes close though.  Parts of the storyline were tweaked, and plot devices changed, but it was done in a tasteful manner.  Almost all of the dialogue was straight from the book, which was wonderful, but also made the acting look forced at some points.  Still, I enjoyed it a lot.  I had been worried that any movie adaptation of this book would not show James (the main character) in a flattering light seeing as he is a very introverted, deep thinking character, but they did a good job.
So, if you enjoyed the book, I do think you should take the time and see the movie.  Not by any means perfect, but a good job for a book-to-movie film.

Miss Representation (2011): I have a long list of documentaries I've been meaning to see, and this was among them.  While the content and message is nothing I wasn't already aware of, it was nice to see a documentary that attempts to shed light on the gross misrepresentation of women in the media, and how, we just can't seem to win.  It shows the truths and hypocrisies of a culture that claims equality and then continues to judge and shame women on their bodies rather than showing their worth as human beings.  While this film explores few solutions, it's a good "introductory course" to showing people just how much discrimination and degradation women face in the mainstream media.

Faces in the Crowd (2011): This movie started off fairly slow, and I wasn't sure whether or not I could get into it, but towards the middle-end it got really good.  I'm glad I stuck with it.  My only complaints about the film are moments when the lead character does things that are just not smart to do when you're being pursued by a serial killer.  Although, that's sort of the norm in thrillers, and I suppose if she was smart the whole time there wouldn't have been much of a plot.

Eddie and the Cruisers (1983): This movie was a lot of fun. The story of a (fictional) band in the sixties that only made it big twenty years after the death of their lead singer.  It follows both the history of the band, and the lives of the remaining band members twenty years later as some of them begin to doubt whether or not Eddie actually died.

Other movies I watched this month: Practical Magic (1998)*, Kumare (2011), Alien Nation (1988), Eddie and the Cruisers II: Eddie Lives! (1989).

9 comments:

  1. I loved MissRepresentation. I thought it was really well done.

    I've also always wanted to see Eddie and the Cruisers. I think it's one of my dad's favorites.

    Good list!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Someday This Pain Will Be Useful To You is a movie?! HOW DID I NOT KNOW THIS. I will have to watch it asap. Also.... I really need to finally watch all of Star Wars. It's really sad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Star Wars is my favorite. I even have a lightsaber tattooed on my index finger!

    I haven't heard of a lot of those movies, so I'll have to check them out!

    xo Jackie
    http://www.whyyesdeer.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. In light of my recent physics lecture and now this, I want to rewatch Star Wars!

    Thanks for continuing to do these monthly recaps. I always get a better taste of what I could be watching! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. ugh I love someday this pain will be useful to you SO MUCH and had no idea they turned it into a movie!!! I will definitely have to watch that one!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What. Someday was made into a movie?! WHAAAAT.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My sister bought the Star Wars boxset recently and I've been meaning to nab them off her so I can watch, I haven't seen them in years! I'm sort of on the fence about the new ones coming out - they can either be amazing or go terribly wrong. The universe is just so damn awesome, that provided they have a good storyteller, you could easily build a whole series of worthwhile films around it - just look at the quality of books and games set in that universe, they blow the travesties of 1-3 out of the water!! In fact they should just pick up stories from the books and comics and go to town.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Currently enjoying my re-watch of Star Wars...it's been to long. Falling in love all over again.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to say hello <3