This Month in Movies: February 2013



Has it really been a month since my last Month in Movies post?  Crazy!  I rather surprisingly didn't see any of the Best Picture noms this year, so you won't find any of those on this list.

Here's This Month in Movies: (* = re-watch)

Drive (2011):  I can't believe it took me so long to see this.  The acting was wonderful, and while I wasn't too fond of the excessive violence and gore, it was crucial to the impact of the film.  I definitely enjoyed it.

Kicking and Screaming (1995):  No.  Not Will Ferrel.  Just.  No.  The movie chronicled the lives of a group of recent liberal arts college graduates and their difficulty adapting to the "adult" world.  I definitely enjoyed, and on some levels related to, this film.

Pacific Heights (1990):  Because Michael Keaton is at his best when he's playing the criminally insane.

Safety Not Guaranteed (2012):  I wanted to like this movie a lot more than I ended up liking it.  It wasn't bad, but it fell short of what I had hoped it would be.  I do enjoy watching Aubrey Plaza on-screen, but that was pretty much the extent of it for me.  Fantastic concept for a film, but in my opinion poorly executed.

Super 8 (2011): I'd been on the fence about seeing this.  Speilberg has disappointed me recently, and I wasn't in the mood for another disappointment.  Luckily, that didn't happen.  I really enjoyed this movie.  I felt like a part of the film, and like a kid again.  Part of the adventure and excitement.  It was really enjoyable.

Titan A.E. (2000)*:  This movie had a fairly large impact in my developing tastes as a child.  I was a big science fiction fan (and still am), and this movie appealed to it in a way that treated me maturely while still being a "kids" movie.  It was also one of the main reasons behind my interest in possibly majoring in animation, and while I didn't end up doing that I still thank this movie for expanding my drawing interests.  Also, I didn't find out until recently, the screenplay was written by Joss Whedon and Ben Edlund both of whose work I am a fan of.

Hansel and Gretel, Witch Hunters (2013):  Okay, I saw this on a whim because it was literally the only movie that had a showtime I could make. (and also because jeremy renner)  Don't get me wrong, it was AWFUL, but it was awful in such a way that made it a really fun movie to criticize as you're watching it.  It was a fun night, and I enjoyed how utterly bad everything about this movie was.

Other movies I watched this month: Dead Awake (2010), The Bothersome Man (2006), The Conversation (1974), The Emperor's New Groove (2000)*, The Future (2011), The Nines (2007), The Road To El Dorado (2000)*, Warm Bodies (2013).


8 comments:

  1. I'm trying to distribute my comments evenly... but also, Nude is my favorite Radiohead song too! I need to watch more movies... I did see Warm Bodies though! :)

    This Lovely Little Day

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just checked out Kicking and Screaming from the public library! I am excited to see it.

    Lovin' the movie list as per usual.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I may have to pick up a few of these!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have yet to see Drive - I know it's on Netflix instant though, so I'll have to check it out! I LOVED Super 8 so much.
    Ugh Hansel and Gretel just looked awful, but I'm glad you had a wonderfully awful time seeing it! Great list - seriously, The Road to El Dorado is so underrated. And am I the only one who had a crush on both of them (and still kind of do)?
    xox

    ReplyDelete
  5. SUPER AGREE about Hansel and Gretel.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I watched Safety Not Guaranteed last weekend for the first time. I agree with your opinion of it. Definitely a great concept but they could have done better. I didn't like the ending at all. It could have been a really touching, insightful movie if they had used the whole "he believes in time travel" thing to do something introspective... instead of making it true.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi there! I have ventured over from another blog where I saw your button. I'm enjoying this little peek into your world! Just lovely!

    I’m hosting a super duper group giveaway, on my blog. Don’t miss out! And if you’d like to be a co-host on my next giveaway, I would be honored!

    XOXO, Mandi @ All My Happy Endings

    ReplyDelete
  8. Been meaning to watch Super 8 for a while now, but yeah I've been pretty hesitant too because of Spielberg, but I may have to give it go now! I'm thinking I may leave watching Drive until a few years down the line, just because all I've heard from people is to watch it for Gosling, and I don't want that to be in my head while I watch it...that probably sounds weird, but you know when an actor or a director or a film is super hyped and it kinda ruins it for you while you're watching it? One of the reasons I still haven't watched Avatar...although in that case I'm not sure I ever will.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to say hello <3