Five years time...

❝ Oh well I look at you and say
It's the happiest that I've ever been. ❞
-Five Years Time (Noah and the Whale)


    (Left to right: Lina, Maggie, Dillon)


I never really made a proper Seattle Trip of Dreams and Wonder post.  I tried to sum it up here, but words really don't do the experience justice.  It was a beautiful week, and I got to meet beautiful people, and some of my best friends in the world.  I think maybe the reason I couldn't sum up the trip, was that the trip had so much history behind it.  The history of that trip, and of the amazing people that are the blogger family, is the collective history of my five years of blogging.

I have officially been blogging for FIVE YEARS

I think we're finally breaking into the age where the outside world is more accepting of internet friendships.  Even two or three years ago I can't imagine telling someone in the "real world" about this trip and not having them react terribly to it:  "That doesn't sound safe!"  "Well, you met them online so they're not real friends."
But, I haven't gotten asked those questions, I've expected them, and continue to expect them, almost instinctively. In earlier years that's how people reacted if I brought up my "internet friendships", but people have been more understanding, more accepting, and more genuinely interested this time around.

Maybe it's the relevance of social media in our everyday lives.  Maybe it's because almost everyone is interacting with people they haven't met in person online on an almost daily basis now, whether they consider those people friends or not.  Maybe that's where this newfound understanding and interest comes from.  All I know is, I'm grateful for it.  I'm grateful for the ability to gush about the amazing group of people that is The Blogger Family to my "real life" friends.
The members of the blogger family are my real life friends.
I've spent the last four years with these amazing people.  People who've changed my life, and who have contributed to turning me into the person I am today.

Four days ago was my blog's fifth birthday. I've been blogging for five years, and have met all of these amazing people through my blog.  FIVE YEARS.  Five years of sharing stories, celebrations, rants, and problems with listening ears.  Five of the best years of my life.  Five years in which I've met some of the most amazing people, and have gotten to call them my friends, my best friends, my family.  It's amazing what opening yourself up to a new experience and a new community can do for you, what opening yourself up to adventure does for your life.

If I had not started this blog on December the 10th, 2007 none of this would have happened.  I would never have met the people that now make up the blogger family.  I would not have spent this past summer meeting them all in Seattle, and having a proper adventure with them.  No bonfires, no sleepovers, no hugging and crying at the airport.  All of this has happened because I clicked the "create blog" link on Blogger's home page, and it was, quite possibly, the best and most life-impacting decision of my life.

Sometimes it's the small things, the little seemingly unimportant actions, like clicking a button, that can forever change your life, and change you as a person.  I'm glad I made that small decision, because it changed everything for the better, and I can't imagine my life any other way.


Sending you all lots of love and adventure,

Amy

10 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh. I love this so much. Congratulations to five whole years of blogging. I'm pretty sure I'm coming up on five or six years as well. It's amazing how far we've come (i.e. from across the country to visit each other). I honestly feel like so much of my life would be different if it weren't for you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not only am I so glad you started blogging, but I'm so glad I was influenced by you to start blogging. Happy Birthday, blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is perfect. So very perfect. Hooray for blogging!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so happy you made that decision and am so fortunate to call you my friend! Happy Birthday, Blog!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amy, this is so eloquent and heartfelt and awesome.

    Happy birthday to your blog and congrats for blogging this long.

    Blogger Family. <3

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's awesome! Congratulations on your five years :) I hope I will be blogging 5 years once haha. xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amy, you're such a great writer! You inspired me to write my own blog! I'm glad you've been blogging for 5 years, here's to the next five!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Woohoo, happy five year anniversary! I'm thrilled I've gotten a chance to know you - you're a lovely person and I just adore you :) Excellent and well written post (as per usual). xox

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy Anniversary! I can't wait until I can post about my 5th anniversary!! Xx

    www.satinandsouffles.com
    www.satinandsouffles.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations! so glad I stumbled upon your blog! new follower!

    Saralyn

    www.studiomaisonblog.us

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to say hello <3