12.29.12.



I've said it before, it's a wonder I don't bleed tea.  Especially when I'm always on the run, tea is my fuel in life.  I always have a cup of green tea, or Earl Grey, before work in the mornings, and maybe some tea with lunch, and then more tea before work in the evening.  I could measure my life in cups of tea...
It's one of those nice, simple, pleasures in life that I never get tired of.  The supply of tea in my home would impress Ramona Flowers, and I can't help but get excited about the tea aisle in the grocery store.  I got a little bit too excited when my manager at work told me we had one last Gatsby mug, and put it on hold for me!  I HAD to get it. I am in love, with a mug.  It's so perfect. So. Perfect.

Christmas in my house is postponed until my brother comes home.  He had to work through Christmas because of The Nutcracker, so we're waiting 'til his flight home to celebrate!  I hope you all had lovely Christmas holidays if you celebrate, or just a lovely Tuesday, like I did.

I'm marveling at the fact that the year's almost at it's end.

A lot happened over this last year, wonderful and not so wonderful, but that's life, and I've enjoyed myself immensely this year despite any rough patches.  I think the greatest gift I've received this past year is the wisdom to let things pass.  I'm a much calmer person when it comes to worry and stress in life.  I've learned that the only thing I can truly control are my actions, and not the outcome of my actions.  It's a hard thing to come to grips with at first, for someone who is very type-a, not being able to control things seemed so terrifying, but it's actually very comforting to realize that not everything is in my hands.  It's a freeing, and calming thing to only worry about what's in one's control, truly in one's control.  My job, our job as human beings, is to control our actions, and do our best to only act in ways that are kind and beneficial to ourselves and others.  Those actions are in our control, and we must be calm and accept any outcome they bring us, and then if need be, act on the outcome in a kind manner.  The world turns without us, and we must act within ourselves in a way that makes the world a kinder place, not worry about things we cannot control.  I feel incredibly glad to have realized that over the last year, and to have let that become a part of my personal philosophy, and I'd like to believe that if we truly do make only kind decisions and actions the outcomes will be kind in return.

"Don't be afraid of mistakes; you can always correct them, only intentions matter.  The shape things take is not within your power; the motives of your actions are."
-Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj

So here's to a happier, calmer new year, full of kind action, and less self-induced stress and worry, and lots and lots of tea.

In the meantime, while I wait for 2013 to make it's arrival in the next few days, I'm going to make some jasmine ceylon, watch Princess Mononoke, and clean out my closet.

So much love,
Amy

10 comments:

  1. Amy, you are such an inspiration. Enough said. Have the loveliest of holidays. Much love!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel zen just reading this.

    I'm glad 2012 was an enlightening year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Talented writer, you :) I love reading your blog

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very beautiful post<3 I also love the mug!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Perfect! You have inspired me so!
    Have a very Happy new year.
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope you and your family (and Andrew!) have a great belated holiday, and I wish you the best for 2013!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's definitely a beautiful concept to absorb into life. I've struggled with this as well, but I believe I'm better at just rolling with what happens! We'd drive ourselves insane otherwise, you know?
    I myself am also a tea connoisseur of sorts, I love collecting tea cups, mugs and pots, and I used to drop way too much money at Teavana until it struck me that the money is better used on food in college.. ha! Nonetheless, lately I've made my own blends with commercial teas, I love used to the Stash Christmas Morning (it's green + black) with Celestial lemon or red zinger. I'll brew a full put in the morning and it's so satisfying throughout the day!

    Cheers to 2012, and may your 2013 be just as fulfilling, if not more!
    nicole.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love, love, love. This post was amazing. I need some of these things quoted on a poster for me to look at every day. Amy, you are officially the Blogger Family zen guru.

    I hope you have a wonderful belated holiday with your family! :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. I made a very similar realization this year.. that it's really important to just let things pass and not stress and freak out over every little thing that goes wrong. It feels very liberating! I'm also glad that someone else drinks excessive amounts of tea ll throughout the day... a relative recently told me I should get an award for how much I consume!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I feel the same way about coffee! I love your mug and think it's cool that your family waited to be all together for Christmas.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to say hello <3