There & Back Again

❝ This is what you shall do; Love the earth and sun and the animals, despise riches, give alms to every one that asks, stand up for the stupid and crazy, devote your income and labor to others, hate tyrants, argue not concerning God, have patience and indulgence toward the people, take off your hat to nothing known or unknown or to any man or number of men, go freely with powerful uneducated persons and with the young and with the mothers of families, read these leaves in the open air every season of every year of your life, re-examine all you have been told at school or church or in any book, dismiss whatever insults your own soul, and your very flesh shall be a great poem and have the richest fluency not only in its words but in the silent lines of its lips and face and between the lashes of your eyes and in every motion and joint of your body. ❞
                                                                                                          -Walt Whitman
 
(Lovely lighting in Ikea, and a package all wrapped up to send to Dillon)
 
I'm back from my unexpected hiatus!  The past month is a bit of a blur to be honest...  So much happened in that short span of time that I can hardly believe it's only been a month, and not perhaps six. 
 
To sum it all up, in the past month: I turned twenty-one, and can happily now order mojitos when I'm out, my little brother moved far away all on his own for an amazing opportunity (I'm so very proud.), I received Amanda Palmer's Theatre Is Evil (I backed her Kickstarter a few months ago) AND IT ROCKS, work has been wildly hectic as there have been quite a few managerial changes lately, I've planned a Blogger Family swap for All-Hallows-Read, and I've actually made some headway finishing some of the books I've acquired over the years and stuck bookmarks in mid-read.
 
Life, of course, is ever-changing, ever-morphing, and ever the same.  I just happen to be along for the ride.  Which, I don't mind all that much to be honest, I enjoy watching things unfold, and I'm rather adaptable so change doesn't bother me.  It just causes a lack of blogging-time sometimes.  It does feel good to be back at the keyboard though.  I've missed this blog dearly, and all of the lovely people I interact with through it.  How have your lives been?
 
 
 

I'm trying to keep myself busy lately.  It's strange not having my little brother in the house...
Here's a list of things I plan on occupying myself with for the foreseeable future:
 
➝ Reading.  As I've mentioned many time before, I have this habit of picking new books up when I've not finished the one I'm currently reading.  Leaving of course, piles of bookmarked books all about my room.  I'm attempting to finish the books I've started before I begin any new ones.  Although, I just broke my own rule and picked up a rather large stack of books at the library today... We'll see how this goes.  I may just be fated to read 10+ books at a time for the rest of my life.
 
➝ Catching up on films I've been meaning to see.  I'll be moving my "This Month in Movies" lists to the ends of monthly catch up posts in the future, but I'm definitely still keeping track of what I've been watching.  Netflix, and my local library are lovely things.  In fact, to go with that stack of books I picked up today, there's an equally large stack of movies I want to watch.
 
➝ Try more teas.  I love tea, I drink tea every day, and I'm not exaggerating when I say asking for a cup of tea in my house is like that scene in Scott Pilgrim where Ramona lists the contents of her tea-cabinet.  There is a vast variety of teas in my house, but I'm always interested in trying new flavors and types, and I'm intrigued by Adagio and their custom blends.  Specifically their fandom blends.  You guys know me... the thought of Sherlock, Good Omens, and Doctor Who inspired tea blends is just too fantastic! 
 
➝ Re-learn how to knit.  I feel like this is a goal I set for myself often...  maybe that's a sign I should give up, but I'm not going to!  I WILL FINISH A KNITTING PROJECT! (Hasn't finished a knitting project in her life) I got a really fantastic book of sock patterns to knit for my birthday, so I definitely want to be able to put it to good use. I mean, there's a pair of socks in that book inspired by the character Crowley from Supernatural.  I HAVE to learn how to knit now.  I have no choice. (I am such a hopeless fangirl you guys...)
 
➝ BAKE.  It will finally be cool enough here in Phoenix to start baking soon.  I have recipes stock-piled and I can't wait to try them out.  Especially some recipes I've been seeing floating around the blogosphere that involve tea.  Tea flavored cupcakes?   Yes please!
 
➝ Make things more often, just, in general.  I feel like I hit a bit of a creativity slump awhile back, so I vow to make something everyday!  Even if it's something little.  A handmade postcard, a felt plushie, a hand-written short story, a baked good, an art journal page, anything.  Just make something.
 
How's that for a list of things to occupy my time with!
 
Last but not least:  a birthday giveaway!  Leave a comment on this post telling my what your favorite thing about reading my blog (or one recommending a book for me to read!), and include your email address and you'll be entered to win a surprise package from me!  Most likely containing handmade goodies, tea, and cute little bits and bobs. I'll randomly pick a winner next Monday: September 24th.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 


 

7 comments:

  1. I miss you. And I like everything about your blog because it is your blog and I love you. The end.

    Also, for my Women Writers class I have been reading short stories by Charlotte Perkins Gilman and thoroughly enjoying them. You should check those out. My favorite so far has been Her Beauty.

    Also, I don't remember if I ever even said happy birthday to you, and I apologize if I didn't. I really wanted to send you something, but life is crazy.

    Also, I got your little note and crane in the mail today! <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Obviously I enjoy reading your blog because you're part of the family of everyone I love, but I've always admired your effortless blend of multiple topics/types of posts. I sometimes feel mine are disjointed or stand out too much and they aren't well categorized under my main blog's name. If that is coherent at all.

    As for book recommendations, (I'm just doing both thing. :P) I just finished reading The Picture of Dorian Gray for my English course and it was pretty good. I am glad to be able to say that I've read it!

    You probably know this, but I've been slowly adjusting to college life. I will have to write a proper post to catch everyone up -- my weekends are actually genuinely eventful nowadays. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. We've missed your blogging!
    It's exciting that you're 21 now, and so many other exciting things have happened. Lots of changes, but I'm sure you'll get used to them soon enough
    If you're looking for an easier read I recommend The Language of Flowers. If you're looking for something a bit more thought provoking, I say read The Fountainhead!
    (dilbwebs@gmail.com)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's so good to hear from you! I feel so disconnected from everyone right now because of, well, life. Which sucks in a way, but it happens, and sometimes being busy can be nice. I hope you had a fabulous birthday and I got your thank you card in the mail today, just so you know. I'm so excited for Andrew! I remember how happy you were when you got the phone call from him and it made me so happy. Knitting and baking are basically the perfect fall activities. And I have no idea if you've already read it or not, but my roommate recommends The Book of Lost Things. Which I really have wanted to read for a while. Also, I love everything about you and therefore your blog, so pretty much what Maggie said. Oh, and natalie_moment@yahoo.com.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay! You're back to blogging!

    And one thing that I love about your blog is how you start every post with a meaningful quote. I'm almost tempted to go through each post and collect each and every one. I'm a sucker for quotes.

    And good luck with your knitting aspirations! You can do it! I believe in you, haha! I always like to multitask when I knit, watching TV, chatting with friends, etc.

    bookish.spazz@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Alexandra WilloughbySeptember 18, 2012

    I just recently discovered your blog and am in love with it, especially this post. Fandom blend tea?! That sounds so awesome.

    If you're looking for a good book, I would suggest Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close by Jonathan Safran Foer or any of Markus Zusak's books - they are pure genius.

    cerealboxshakespeare@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I enjoy your blog because it's lovely and calming and it's you. I recommend that you read Winkie- about a teddy bear terrorist.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to say hello <3