This Month in Movies: June 2012

Welcome to the beginning of my new project: This Month in Movies.  At the end of every month I'm going to post a compiled lists of the movies I watched and re-watched that month, and some thoughts on each film.  Enjoy!



 A Love Song For Bobby Long was fantastic.  It's set in Louisianna, and follows the story of a girl who travels back to her hometown after her mother dies to find to men she's never met living in her mother's home.  I won't give plot points away, but I greatly enjoyed this movie. John Travolta plays a former professor of English turned disillusioned drunk, who's convinced his life will turn up once his former student, and housemate, finishes his novel and makes them both wealthy.



Albert Nobbs tells the story of a woman who's spent her life disguising herself as a man in order to make it by in Ireland in the late 19th century.  Glenn Close's performance as Albert was stunning, just, if not too see the acting alone I recommend this film, but the plot was equally enthralling, and the costumes were fantastic.



Another Earth introduces us to a brilliant young girl, Rhoda (Brit Marling) who is on her way to MIT, but her future is cut short.  Her one hope for that future she had is a trip to Earth 2.
I refuse to say anymore... ever moment of the film is of importance to the plot.  I loved this film, it immediately made it's way on to my list of top five all-time favorites.



Beautifully done experimental French short sci-fi film.  The movie is narrated, and set to still images, and tells the story of a man in captivity after World War III, who is being used as the subject for time travel experiments.


Other Films I Watched & Re-Watched: Eve's Bayou, The Avengers, Coming Home, MelancholiaHercules, and Fish Tank.


11 comments:

  1. Ah! All of those movies look interesting! And I've been meaning to watch Another Earth...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another Earth has been on to-watch list and just the other day my mom talked about renting Albert Nobbs. I'm sure both would be lovely!

    RE: I think you said in best on your post to the Blogger Family: great minds DO think alike! Films are always fun to talk/read about so I'm glad you're doing a project like this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I love this idea! Especially because I'm a bit of a movie snob and I don't like watching movies unless I've heard of several people who have seen them and liked them. Life's too short for crappy movies, you know? Just found your blog and I've loved getting to know you better, I'm excited to follow along!

    new follower :)
    bonnie
    bonnielouisa.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Another Earth sounds really intriguing. Is it on Netflix? I love that you and Lizzie both coincidentally started doing this! Very useful for movie recommendations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Another Earth is on Netflix, but only if you have their mailing service. It's not streaming unfortunately. Luckily my family subscribes to both the instant, and the mailing.

      Delete
  5. I really love this idea! I can't wait to see what other movies you share. I've been meaning to watch Albert Nobbs and looks like I need to go out and find it now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am slowly turning into a hermit, I am ashamed to say I haven't heard of any these! Although admittedly I still haven't seen Captain America, Thor or The Avengers either (unforgivable I know, but in my defence I have been ill).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have yet to see Captain America as well (and X-Men: First Class, which came out ages ago...).

      Sorry to hear you've been ill again, hope you're feeling better.

      Delete
  7. I have some catching up to do! I haven't seen any of those. You're putting me to shame. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glenn Close looks amazing, so different and so believable! That movie is definitely on my list now;)

    blueeyednightowl.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to say hello <3