05.07.12.

❝ I believe that suffering is part of the narrative, and that nothing really good gets built when everything’s easy. I believe that loss and emptiness and confusion often give way to new fullness and wisdom. ❞

-Shauna Niequist




Summer is creeping up on me.  My last class of the semester is Wednesday evening, and after that I have a summer of adventures ahead of me to look forward to.  

I spent last week helping my old dance studio prepare for their spring production.  It was absolutely beautiful.  All of the dancers have grown and progressed so much within the last six months, it's astonishing.  I can see most of them in professional  companies in their futures.  I'm so glad for them all. 
One of the little boys at the studio is the most precious thing ever.  He knows the name of every superhero, and is always asking people comic book trivia. He brought a Thor hammer to the studio last week!  He also let me know that I look like Storm (of the X-Men), which isn't at all true, but I took it as the highest compliment nonetheless.  So cute!

Free Comic Book Day was lovely.  I stopped by the comic shop I frequent with my little brother and we chose the titles we were most interested, and chatted with the owner and manager.  The people at that shop are just so fantastic.  I love it there.  I was really disappointed when Atomic closed its doors last year, but finding this new shop was such a fantastic thing.

I've been spending a lot of time browsing clearance sections of local used bookstores.  It's become my favorite thing to do now that outdoors activities are limited due to the heat.  You can usually find things ranging from one to three dollars there if you hunt properly.  I started collecting an old manga series I read in high school called Godchild.  It was this incredibly creepy tale set in Victorian England.  It's all detectives, and serial murders, and magic, and the occult.  I was very into that stuff in high school.  It still remains one of my favorite collections of stories.  It's been very hard for me to find though!
I'm also on somewhat of an Ursula K. LeGuin binge and have been grabbing up any and all of her books I can find, especially short stories.


Things I'm looking forward to:

. Watching series two of Sherlock.  A Scandal in Belgravia aired on PBS last night, and naturally having waited for it for so long I made sure to set the DVR.  It was fantastic!  I can't wait for the next two episodes.  (please be kind and keep spoilers to yourself)

. Drinking many a smoothie.  Whole Foods has this great green smoothie that's comprised of cucumber, basil, spinach, mango, and coconut water.  It's fantastic.

. Spending more time with Lauren.  I've been super busy lately, and we've been forgoing our weekly meet-ups, so spending some time together will be nice.

. The BLOGGER FAMILY TRIP OF DREAMS AND WONDER.

. Drinking lots of tea, and reading lots of books.

. Seeing The Avengers.

5 comments:

  1. That little boy sounds so adorable. I just want to hug him or something.

    I'm a terrible person that watched season two of Sherlock not-so-legally, so I commend you. Enjoy! :) I absolutely loved it. Same with the Avengers. And mmm, smoothies are such a great part of summer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'M SO EXCITED FOR SHERLOCK, YOU HAVE NO IDEA.

    Hooray for summer adventures! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay summer! Hope it's not unbearably hot there.

    That smoothie sounds delicious and I want it now.

    LeGuin is crazy and fantastic and I'd love to read more of her works!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Reading about the dance studio reminds me how I wish I still danced, though I was never very good. In retrospect, if I hadn't stopped at five then I would probably would've been better, though I danced 11-13 as well. Maybe I'll get back into in college, though I was never very good.

    I NEED TO WATCH SHERLOCK.

    The summer will be awesome. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. thats so cute of that little boy!!
    ah, free comic book day, that sounds so awesome.

    SO EXCITED FOR YOU TO WATCH SHERLOCK. SO EXCITED. you will have to tell me what you think of series 2.

    I CAN'T WAIT FOR JULY!!! :D

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to say hello <3