05.28.11.

"My cousin Helen, who is in her 90s now, was in the Warsaw ghetto during World War II. She and a bunch of the girls in the ghetto had to do sewing each day. And if you were found with a book, it was an automatic death penalty. She had gotten hold of a copy of ‘Gone With the Wind’, and she would take three or four hours out of her sleeping time each night to read. And then, during the hour or so when they were sewing the next day, she would tell them all the story. These girls were risking certain death for a story. And when she told me that story herself, it actually made what I do feel more important. Because giving people stories is not a luxury. It’s actually one of the things that you live and die for."
-Neil Gaiman



(via)


✂--------------------------------


So, Kaylie blogged about this great place for cupcakes a while ago, and seeing as we both live in AZ I thought I'd check it out! Also, us both living in AZ and having not met yet has to change!

I got a Birthday Cake Cupcake (see the picture above), and it was delicious! The shop won Cupcake Wars on the Food Channel, so really I shouldn't have been so surprised at how great that cupcake was, but I was.


✂--------------------------------


I discovered Craft Gawker by way of the Apple app store the other day, and I AM HOOKED. It's like tumblr for people who make things. I now have a very long list of things I want to make over the summer. It's crazy how much time I've spent on that site since I discovered it. Did I mention I'm hooked?


✂--------------------------------


Urban Outfitters is always tempting me with their sales just when I need to keep a watch on my wallet. Why can't they have sales when it's more convenient for me?
Things that are catching my eye right now: these jeans, this dress, and this one, this skirt, and this top.


✂--------------------------------


Yesterday was pretty great. I did enough laundry to make professional laundry doers blush with unworthy embarrassment, I cleaned my room, watched The Lion King 2, and my brother brought me home a blue raspberry/sour green apple slushie just 'cause.
I also started catching up on season six of Supernatural with my mom and brother. Since it isn't on dvd yet I was worried I'd have to wait 'til September to see it, or buy the whole season episode by episode on iTunes (I don't do the whole online downloads thing. I don't think it's right. I get my movies and music the legal way.), so I was happily surprised when I found out the CW would be airing season six in order over the summer while we wait for season seven to some out.


✂--------------------------------


:THINGS I NEVER LEAVE THE HOUSE WITHOUT:

I was thinking the other day about what people find important, and routines, and how everyone has a few things that they need and keep with them every day, and I thought "hey! this would make a good blog post." so here we are.
Being a girl, I carry a purse most of the time, and there are things I always keep in it. The things I always want with me, especially on the go, and a lot of the time I'll bring a few things with me that I don't keep in my purse when I'm out, that I'll either keep in the car when I'm not using or carry around with me wherever I am.

Here's my list:
My iPhone 3gs, my iTouch, my moleskine dayplanner, one or more notebooks, a pen, a black sharpie, chapstick, lactaid, house keys, my wallet, a lighter, matches, the book I'm currently reading, a bottle opener, a few hair ties and bobby pins, cough drops, travel toothbrush and toothpaste, handwritten notes to leave in public places. It's a wonder I fit all of this into my rather small purse.

As summer approaches I tend to grab a bigger purse and carry the following with my in addition to what's above:
Sunscreen, sunglasses, a water bottle (not plastic if I can help it), deodorant, a hat, and aloe. I'm very fair-skinned so things that keep me from burning are a must in the summer, even if it means lugging some extra items with me wherever I go.

What do you keep with you at all times?


✂--------------------------------


Hope all of my American readers are having a lovely three-day weekend! Have some hot dogs, or tofu dogs on Memorial Day! :)

And don't forget to check out the SUMMER 2011 BLOGGER SWAP page if you want to join in on the fun!

6 comments:

  1. Mmmm, that cupcake looks divine. The only issue I have with cupcakes is that they are far too small, haha. :)

    Urban Outfitters is so tempting. Especially when the closest one is an hour away, and, yeah, you're supposed to be saving money. Sigh...

    I enjoyed reading about what's in your purse! We definitely share a few of the same essentials. I'm currently looking for a new purse, and my mom didn't understand when I said it needed to be big enough to carry a book. She was like "why would you carry a book around 24/7?" and I was like "mom, I've been your daughter for 17 years, how is this surprising to you?" Haha.

    Happy Memorial Day weekend! I actually completely forgot about that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had the same slurpee combination today! Amy I am just going to spend an innapropriate amount of time catching up on your posts tonight so don't mind my stalking. I missed you dearly<3

    ReplyDelete
  3. i know what you're talking about with the craftgawker. i spend all my days on foodgawker. so. amazing.
    and that cupcake looks so yummy. i love cupcake wars

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello there!
    Can't believe I haven't visited your blog before, it looks very fun to read. Ahh, cupcakes; I love how the icing is swirled on top of the one in the picture. If I could make a living out of decorating cakes/cupcakes, I would!!

    Hmm, some of the stuff I try to never leave the house is an umbrella, a hair elastic or two, wallet (a given), my glasses, a pen & note pad. And perhaps a magazine, if I know I'll be sitting around somewhere.

    Hope you've had a great Memorial Day weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi,
    I am new to Blogging and come across your blog. I love it.
    The stuff I never leave the house with is pen, notepad (never know when a great idea pops in your head), phone and wallet.

    :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to say hello <3